Descendants of William Grave and Sarah Head
of Cumberland, England
The name changed from Grave to Graves in later generations
in part of the family.
The direct line to Fred is (1) William Grave & Sarah Head, (2) William Grave & Mary Hewer, (3) Mary Grave & John Little,
(4) William Little & Kate Cazaly, (5) Fanny Beatrice Little & Frederick Joseph Chapple,
(6) Mary Beatrice Chapple & Albert Ernest Shade.
The History, Gazetteer & Directory of Cumberland, 1847 (available on the internet) gives information about the
Allhallows and Aspatria Parishes, and the names of some residents, including Wm. Grave, quarry owner
(gen 2, residing at Baggraw, in Allhallows Parish). It reports that Baggery, Baggray, or Baggraw, is a small village
on the river Ellen, seven miles S.W. of Wigton, opposite to Blennerhasset, containing a public house, four farmers,
and a few tradespeople. £1 a year is given to the poor of the parish.
|Many details added to pages 1,2,3 and 4 - added 20 Aug 2012|
|Further detail added to pages 3, 4, 5 and 6 especially Gloag and Mattinson families, added 26 Jul 2011|
Contact Libby Shade for further details
P.O. Box 105, Rosanna 3084, Victoria, Australia
This family tree is
provided for mutual information within the family.
The information given will be referenced by official documents, family bibles etc.
Information that is uncertain or unreferenced will not be published.
For privacy of the present generations, the family tree will halt at the generation born around the start of the 20th century.
Discussion gladly entered into.